Charlotte Swiden is a Swedish artist and designer living in Melbourne, Australia.
Her work has been greatly influenced by her Scandinavian heritage and love of nature.
Her art practise is expressive, reflecting on modern life and inner landscapes, using bold forms and rich colours.
Charlotte has a background in art and design and has spent the past twenty years working in graphic and product design both in Sweden and Australia. She moved to Australia in 2005 to undertake a BA in Communication Design at RMIT University where she focused on illustration and printmaking.
Her many years in design has given her an exceptional eye for form and function which translates into her art.
You can see more of her graphic design work at www.charlotteswiden.com.au
And yes, Swiden is her actual birth name.
ARTIST STATEMENT; FOUNDATIONS
“ If I listen closely I can hear you between the lines.
Sometimes I become the translator.
Sometimes I listen to your stories for so long I forget my own.”
Foundations is about returning home and letting my inner voice resurface.
It’s a journal of human behaviour, my roots, new leaves and a longing for nature.
ARTIST STATEMENT & ETHOS
When I started Swiden Design in 2010, I wanted to create a collection of beautiful, high-quality designs that you would keep forever.
A unique aesthetic, quality materials and an ethical means of production has always been at the forefront of this process.
I also feel that the most important ethics are the ones we practice outside of our work hours and I always try and live my life as close to my values as possible.
In 2015 I had my second child which led me to shift focus. I started collaging and painting again and I took my practice back to my foundations. Time became so precious, I needed to simplify and become more minimalistic in what I chose to do.
Once I started painting again it was all so clear and easy. It was like I had an 800 page novel waiting inside, burning to escape. Painting is just who I am at my very core.
Some of the ways in which I seek to limit my impact on mother earth include:
· My paintings are original and made with time, love and utter care to last a life time
· I only use local crafts people to help my work come to life
· The designs I’ve created are all limited editions or one of pieces
· I use vegetable based inks which don’t harm the environment
· The paper I use for my prints are 100% cotton rag acid-free paper which is designed to meet gallery and museum longevity requirements
· The wall hangings are printed onto linen, one of the most sustainable fabrics we have available
· Non-toxic, water based dyes are used on printed fabricsThis is all good, but I truly believe that we can all do a little bit better than what we are currently doing so I constantly challenge my practice to be more sustainable for the long term.